Thursday, October 24, 2019

In good Jewish fashion ...

Over the past few years I’ve been treated to some of the Jewish cultural roots of the Christian faith. In one episode the Pharisees asked Jesus the question about from where He got His authority, and He threw a question back at them, “Did John’s baptism [referring to His cousin, John the Baptist] come from heaven or from men?” Because they knew they’d be trapped if they answered either way, they answered, “We don’t know.” Jesus thus refused to answer their question.

Because, I later learned, in that culture the answer to His question led to the answer to theirs, and they knew they would be embarrassed.

In that spirit, if anyone were to ask me why I hate President Trump, of whom I've certainly been critical, I would respond, “Why do you hate Bill and Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and the rest of the Democratic Party?” It would be interesting to see the responses — if folks would answer, “We really don’t hate them; we just disagree with them,” I would say, “Well, then what’s wrong with disagreeing with Trump?” If they say, “Well, they’re trying to destroy the country,” I’d respond, “That’s what I believe he’s doing.” And the discussion would go, hopefully civilly, from there.

Now, as I write the president is in serious trouble legally and politically and is likely to be impeached as a result. My point, however, is that, in many cases, his supporters, by not addressing his attitudes and behavior, don’t appreciate that they’re contributing to the division of this country, and even the church if they’re Christians, along ideological lines.

In other words, we need to think critically about what we believe and not simply be reactive.

No comments: